Thanks to the hard work of many, the Assembly budget increases school funding. But, it does not clearly address equity – so we don’t know how the funds will be disbursed. That means we still need to communicate more!
Please email the Governor, Senate Leader Skelos, and Assembly Speaker Silver and tell them to lead NY in making real and lasting change for ALL NY students. Urge them to fund schools equitably.
Here are some talking points:
You are concerned about how $203 million in “Fiscal Stabilization” funds for schools will be allocated.
The distribution should be based on actual fiscal distress like:
- High per pupil Gap Elimination Adjustment (GEA) (This has happened in many average needs districts)
- Declining or non-existent Fund Balance (nothing to fall back on)
- Substantial job loss has already occurred (Districts that have not had layoffs are not in distress!)
It has already been shown that the school aid funding formula is inequitable. Do not use this as a way to distribute this money.
Tell them they have a chance to make a real difference for the schools that are close to being insolvent and who have already made dramatic reductions to their educational programs
- Some local districts have lost almost $6000/pupil in the last 4 years.
- Some local districts have cut 20% or more of their staff.
- These are districts are in lowest 20% in state for administrative costs/pupil
Thank them for making a real difference:
Thank them for leading NY in providing a fair and excellent education to ALL NY students.